The U.S.-Iran Symposium on Air Pollution in Megacities
The U.S.-Iran Symposium on Air Pollution in Megacities was convened on September 3-5, 2013, at the Beckman Center in Irvine, California.
The symposium brought together more than forty Iranian and American air pollution, transportation, and sustainability scientists in addition to interdisciplinary researchers in order to foster new academic collaborations and for the two countries to share the latest information on tools, research and regulatory policies in the field of air pollution. Throughout the two days and six panels, participants discussed topics ranging from air pollution chemistry and modeling to human health effects, as well as promising pollution control and remediation policies and technologies.
The symposium was hosted by the Center for Science, Technology and Security Policy (CSTSP) of the American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS), the University of Southern California (USC), and the U.S. National Academies, with funding from the Richard Lounsbery Foundation and the U.S. Department of State’s International Visitors Leadership Program (IVLP).
All participant-speakers developed papers based on these presentations, which form the basis for the Proceedings document.
In addition, we have made available the presentations which took place during the symposium, as well as the technical agenda the biographies of all participants.
- Introduction to Symposium
- Wallerstein - Regulatory and Policy Strategies
- Abrishamchi - Introductory Overview of Air Pollution Problems in Iran
Sesson 1. Characterizing Air Pollution: Chemistry and Modeling of Air Pollutants
- Dabdub - Computational Models for Urban Air Pollution Dynamics
- Arhami - Modeling and Assessment of Air Pollutants from Vehicles
- Rashidi - Overview of Studies and Monitoring Programs
Sesson 2. Emissions Estimates and Monitoring of Urban Air Pollution
- Schauer - Source Apportionment Strategies for PM in Mega-Cities
- Ashrafi - Analysis of dispersion of PM emitted from a steel complex
- Hosseini - National mobile source emission inventroy development
- Grieshop - Motor vehicle contributions to urban air pollution
- Blake - VOC measurements in selected urban areas
Session 3. Case Studies on Specific Urban Areas: Understanding the Roles of Key Economic, Geographic, and Urban Design Inputs in the Pollution Characterization or Mitigation Scenarios
- Sorooshian - Air Pollution Monitoring in Los Angeles and Tehran
- Habibian - Transportation Demand Management Policie in Tehran
- Griffin - Characterizing Chemical & Physical Processes in Metro Texas
- Soltanieh - Iran's Activities on Climate Change under the UNFCCC
Session 4. Health Impacts of Air Pollution
- Paulson - Spatial Heterogeneity of Air Quality in Los Angeles
- Yunesian - Application of LUR model for pollution exposure
- Kelishadi - The Key to Primordial Prevention of Non-communicable Diseases
- Mansouri - Assessment of patients admitted suffering air pollutant exposure
- Campbell - Air Pollution's Contribution to Neurodegenerative Diseases?
- Atabi - Monitoring Health Impact of Ambient Benzene Concentrations
Session 5. Abatement Strategies and Solutions to Air Pollution Challenges
- Izadpanah - Clean Air Action Plan in Tehran
- Nazemi - Regulating Stationary Sources RECLAIM Cap & Trade Program
- Wilcox - Point-Source Pollutants and Technology
Session 6. Challenges Going Forward: Climate Change and Urban Growth